Michigan's Lemon Laws slightly favor the manufactuer. The number
of repair attempts required for a car to qualify as a lemon is high, and the
definition of what vehicles are covered is narrow - these favor the manufacturer.
Michigan Lemon Law Rating: 2 (somewhat negative - slightly disfavors the consumer)
- New cars, vans or pickups bought AND registered in Michigan
- Excludes motorcycles, and motor homes
- Excludes commercial vehicles
- Excludes recreational vehicles such as ATVs
What constitutes a "lemon":
- Three usuccessful attempts to repair a defect
- 25 calendar days out of service
- terms of the express written warranty or 1 year, whichever comes sooner
What to do if you suspect you have a lemon in Michigan:
- Immediately draft a letter to the manufacturer of your automobile
informing them of the defects you are experiencing. That notification letter must be sent via certified mail.
- You will need to give the manufacturer one last chance to repair the vehicle (or 5 days to complete the repair).
- Ensure that you save ALL documentation related to your automobile
Lemon Laws in Other States